[collectd] Varnish plugin

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Mon Jun 21 23:20:09 CEST 2010

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 04:48:58PM +0200, Jerome Renard wrote:
> I added Marc's branch as a remote branch so I have this in my
> .git/config file :
>
> [...]
> [remote "octo"]
> 	url = git://github.com/octo/collectd.git
> 	fetch = +refs/heads/jr/varnish:refs/remotes/octo/jr/varnish
> [remote "mfournier"]
> 	url = http://github.com/mfournier/collectd.git
> 	fetch = +refs/heads/master:refs/remotes/mfournier/master
> [...]
>
> But whenever I run git merge mfournier/master <revnumber> git just merges
> everything (34 commits) and not only the one I want. Did I do something wrong ?

The purpose of git-merge is to join two lines of history to form a new
commit that is supposed to represent the same state of the repository as
if *all* commits of the merged branches had happened in the current
branch. Branches are specified by their "head commit", i.e. the "tip" of
the requested branch. This may either be done using a name (e.g.
mfournier/master) or by specifying the SHA1 of the "head commit" (or
whatever else is supported by git-rev-parse ;-)). Also, git-merge allows
to specify more than one branch. This is, what you actually did: you
specified the branch "mfournier/master" and the branch, whose head
commit is "<revnumber>" and told git to merge those two into the current
branch.

If you want to pick and apply a single commit only, use git-cherry-pick:
git cherry-pick <revnumber>. This will then apply the changes introduced
by <revnumber> on top of your current branch.

HTH,