[collectd] Dynamically loading collectd.conf configurations

Dean dmitchell at streamguys.com
Wed Jun 9 04:08:42 CEST 2010

Hello,

I am working on a project to collect data from the GenericJMX interface
Java plugin.  It collects perfectly but my problem is that I only want
to monitor some of the MBeans and also have the ability to update
dynamically which MBeans it monitors.  I have tried to HUP the process
with no success.  Is there a method to dynamically insert MBean
configuration into the collectd process? Or is the only option to
restart the collectd process?  The dilemma I face is collecting ALL the
data and then choosing which data to save and display. Or setting up a
process to restart the daemon every 24 hours to load the new conf file
changes.  Has anyone else ran into this problem or found a solution for
this? Or could someone give some input on the viability of restarting
the process every day?  Thanks in advance.

-Dean