[collectd] Varnish plugin

Jerome Renard jerome.renard at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 13:12:42 CEST 2010

Hi Florian,

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 6:30 PM, Florian Forster <octo at verplant.org> wrote:
> Hi Jérôme,
>
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 05:42:10PM +0200, Jerome Renard wrote:
>> You can indeed help if you want to, I work on a fork of Florian's
>> master branch, you can get it from my github account :
>> - http://github.com/jeromer/collectd
>
> I've changes some things in the Varnish plugins based on your current
> master branch. The changes are available on Github from the jr/varnish
> branch [0].

I juste merged your changes locally but I am no longer able to compile.
I am using Debian.

> Sorry that I didn't just merge your branch: I changed the author name to
> your full name. While I was at it I added a "Varnish plugin: " prefix to
> the commit messages because that makes writing the ChangeLog entry
> easier.

Ok, I'll apply the same pattern for next commit messages.

> Other than that, there are two new "features": The configure script now
> uses pkg-config to determine the correct C- and LD-flags. Unfortunately,
> the Debian package is broken in this respect so that building under
> Debian currently needs some hands-on hacking fixing. I opened bug
> reports but I doubt this will be fixed soon – a similar bug report has
> been open since November 2009 :(

Could you please post the link to the issue ?

> I also implemented configuration for multiple instances. You can now
> configure multiple instances using a configuration like:
>
>  <Plugin varnish>
>    <Instance "foo">
>      MonitorCache true
>      MonitorConnections true
>    </Instance>
>    <Instance "bar">
>      MonitorCache true
>      MonitorConnections true
>      MonitorBackend true
>    </Instance>
>  </Plugin>
>
> To only select the default instance, you can omit the instance name:
>
>  <Plugin varnish>
>    <Instance>
>      MonitorCache true
>      MonitorConnections true
>    </Instance>
>  </Plugin>
>
> If no configuration is specified, a set of default metrics is collected
> from the default instance. Currently that's "MonitorCache" and
> "MonitorConnections" but you're the expert, so it'd be great if you
> could come up with a "sane" set of defaults.

Sure, I can provide that.

>> > AFAIK, the default varnish instance name is the host's FQDN. Maybe
>> > would it be an idea have the instance name appear in the path where
>> > the rrd files get saved (sort of like the cpu and disk plugins do) ?
>> > Although I agree that in 99% of the cases people would have only one
>> > instance per host.
>
> I'm using the "plugin instance" to store the instance name. If the
> instance name is the default instance, then the plugin instance is left
> empty. So in the default case, there is no clutter. I hope that's
> reasonable…?

That should be OK :)

> Unfortunately I'm flying blind because I don't have a Varnish instance
> running anywhere. It'd be awesome if you could test the changes for me.

Yep, no worries. The problem I have now is that I can not compile the plugin
because of the changes you made in configure.in . I'll try to find an acceptable
workaround to get the plugin compile on Debian.

Thanks a lot for your help

Best Regards

--
Jérôme