[collectd] attempting to use gmond plugin with collectd

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Wed Jun 2 21:01:33 CEST 2010

Hi Raymond,

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:19:51PM -0400, Raymond Flanery wrote:
> The only plugins I have turned on are syslog, gmond and csv. if I
> start collectd the records in syslog look like the following:
>
> collectd[18878]: Initialization complete, entering read-loop.
> collectdmon[18852]: Warning: collectd terminated with exit status 127
> collectdmon[18852]: Warning: restarting collectd

Uhm, strange … exit status 127 usually means "command not found". So, it
looks like collectdmon cannot find your collectd executable. In case
you're using the Debian package, the init script should set up every-
thing as needed, though. Would you please try to manually start collectd
on the command line:

  collectd -C /etc/collectd/collectd.conf

Does that work? Any other output from that? If that works all right,
please try the following:

  collectdmon -- -C /etc/collectd/collectd.conf

(please note the "--" ;-))

If all of that works fine, please provide some more information about
your setup: Where did you get collectd from? How did you install it? Any
custom modifications or unusual system settings? What kind of system are
you on?

Cheers,