[collectd] collectd v4.6 encryption?

N. Tucker ntucker-collectd at august20th.com
Thu Jul 8 18:53:53 CEST 2010

Hello, I have a collectd 4.3 server which uses a "network" section that
looks like this:

    <Listen "10.4.15.132">
        SecurityLevel Encrypt
        AuthFile authfile
    </Listen>

This works with collectd 4.3 clients.  I am using a new client that's
running a newer ubuntu distro, so collectd 4.6.3 is what's installed, and I
can't figure out how to configure the network section.  The daemon complains
that the "Network" plugin does not support the options I've specified:

<Plugin network>
    Username theusername
    Password thepassword
    SecurityLevel Encrypt
    Server "myservername"
</Plugin>

It appears that in 4.7, the configuration has changed so that it should be
as follows:

<Plugin network>
    <Server "myservername">
        Username "theusername"
        Password "thepassword"
        SecurityLevel "Encrypt"
    </Server>
</Plugin>

But this does not work either.  Is it possible that the encrypted networking
option was removed for one or more versions?  Is it possible to make
collectd 4.6.3 talk to a collectd server with encrypted communications?  The
docs imply that there was no encryption support before 4.7, but this is
obviously false.