[collectd] GenericJMX java.io.EOFException

matthew sporleder msporleder at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 19:42:10 CET 2010

I just started collecting an MBean from resin and my collections work
for a while but then start to give the following:
[2010-01-14 13:34:40] GenericJMXConfConnection: Creating MBean server
connection failed: java.io.IOException: Failed to retrieve RMIServer
stub: javax.naming.CommunicationException [Root exception is
java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling return; nested
exception is:
  java.io.EOFException]

[2010-01-14 13:38:24] GenericJMXConfConnection: Creating MBean server
connection failed: java.io.IOException: Failed to retrieve RMIServer
stub: javax.naming.CommunicationException [Root exception is
java.rmi.UnmarshalException: error unmarshalling return; nested
exception is:
  java.io.EOFException]

[2010-01-14 13:39:28] GenericJMXConfConnection: Creating MBean server
connection failed: java.io.IOException: Failed to retrieve RMIServer
 stub: javax.naming.CommunicationException [Root exception is
java.rmi.ConnectIOException: error during JRMP connection
establishment; nes
ted exception is:
        java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out]

--------

Any hints?  Bouncing collectd doesn't seem to help so I'm not sure
where to start looking, exactly.  If I delete the graphs they restart
and run fine for a while again.

The following is my MBean define:
    <MBean "resin_web_connections">
      ObjectName "resin:type=ServerConnector,*"
      InstancePrefix "app_server-"
      InstanceFrom name
      <Value>
        Type "derive"