[collectd] Proposal: Make collectdmon start several instances of collectd based on configuration file

Yann Hamon yann.hamon at thehumanjourney.net
Tue Feb 23 17:31:27 CET 2010

> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 22:30:58 +0100
> From: Sebastian Harl <sh at tokkee.org>
> Subject: Re: [collectd] Proposal: Make collectdmon start several
> 	instances	of collectd based on configuration file
> To: Peter Fischer <letzterfreiercoolername at googlemail.com>
> Cc: collectd at verplant.org
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 10:45:35AM +0200, Peter Fischer wrote:
> > I was playing with the 1wire plugin lately und of cource came about
> the
> > "EXPERIMENTAL!" paragraph.
> > I think there would be a relatively simple solution for that:
> >  * In every plugin's stanza in collectd.conf an interval can be
> given. If
> > there is none, the global default is being used.
> >  * During startup, collectdmon would enumerate every plugin's
> desired
> > interval, group these, and would start in collectd instance for
> every single
> > interval in the group.
> > for example:
> >  * soil temperature and humidity is measured every 30min
> >  * barometric pressure is read every 5 min
> >  * ambient temperature and humidity is measured every 2 min
> >  * everything else uses the default 10 seconds interval
> > in that case collectdmon would start four instances of collectd
> running with
> > different intervals
>
> In fact, support for a similar feature has already been implemented
> in
> collectd. However, currently, there is no way to actually use that
> since
> it cannot be configured so far.
>
> The problem is that we'd probably have to touch any single plugin to
> be
> able to make that configurable, so this is going to be a fair bit of
> rather boring coding work. Another issue, we're currently a bit
> unsure
> about is how to reflect this feature in the config file, i.e. what
> kind
> of config option should be introduced. I guess, it's the best to
> introduce a config option (e.g. "Interval") for each and every plugin
> (as you suggested as well), but I'm not a 100% sure about that yet.
> Any
> comments would be appreciated.

Hello Sebastien, well it depends how you implemented the system.
In an ideal world, you would set a DefaultInterval for all plugins (20secs?) and then potentially overwrite that value in the configuration of every plugin. That would be perfect.

But maybe there are restrictions, like a plugin could only have an interval that is a multiple of the base interval?
Let us know, this feature would be awesome, and significantly lower i/o on many servers :)

--
Yann HAMON
Systems Manager

------