[collectd] rrdcached/collectd ports

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Tue Feb 16 21:55:26 CET 2010

Hi Stefan,

On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 10:50:14AM +0200, Stefan.Wiederoder at kaufland.de wrote:
> sorry about the late reply, two weeks holiday and other stuff kept me away
> from my collectd POC.

Apparently, your reply got lost somewhere in the backwaters of my
mailbox … sorry for that :-/

> the only thing I´m not sure about are the rrd-files on my central
> server running rrdcached, because rrdcached will complain if I setup a
> new host - because he has no data files to write to:
>         Aug  6 09:31:47 ipmzs02 rrdcached[25924]: handle_request_update:
> stat
> (/opt/collectd/collectd/var/lib/collectd/host.on.somedomain/df/df-import-QPL_lsarch.rrd)
> failed.
> do I have to transfer the files initially from my client?

As of now, RRDCacheD does not support to create any RRD files on it's
own (i.e. rrdcreate is not supported by the caching daemon).

The only sensible approach I can think of how to fix that, would be to
run collectd on your central server. Then, do not send to RRDCacheD
directly but use the collectd network plugin to transfer the traffic
using the collectd network protocol (from a collectd client to the
collectd server). That central collectd server could then send all
values to RRDCacheD and take care of creating any new files (set the
"CreateFiles" config option to "true").

It might make sense to mention that option in the manpage … any
volunteers? ;-)

HTH,