[collectd] Version 5.0.0.beta0 available

Thorsten von Eicken tve at voneicken.com
Wed Dec 8 18:04:55 CET 2010

On 12/8/2010 7:24 AM, Florian Forster wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 07, 2010 at 09:52:52AM -0800, Thorsten von Eicken wrote:
>> [version 5.0.0.beta0 available]
>>> What is compatible with what?
> in general, sending data from a v4 client to a v5 server should be
> relatively painless. In many cases, using the "v5upgrade" target should
> convert received v4 data to the appropriate v5 layout.
Has the network protocol changed? Can a v5 client send to a v4 server?
Any issues when a v4 client sends to v5? You don't state these things
explicitly anywhere.
>>> It gets a bit tricky when considering that you changed a lot of the
>>> details how plugins report data (e.g. to 'value' and derive instead
>>> of counter), that affects all front-ends that display data.
> I'm afraid so, but all in all it got easier: The data source name of an
> RRD file with exactly one data source is "value". This is no longer a
> rule of thumb, it is now a reality. I will not accept any changes which
> don't adhere to this rule and I will try very hard not to forget this ;)
Oh, I fully agree with the change. Someday it means I'll be able to
retire my config file that maps all this...

The situation we're gonna be in is that we'll have a mix of v4 and v5
clients sending data to the same servers. I'm wondering whether there's
any easy way to flag the resulting rrds. I know I can open the rrd and
list the ds names, but right now I have a config table that maps rrd
filename to ds names (and associated config). Would be good not to have
to do that (consider what I'd have to do to produce the 100-server heat
maps from a mix of v4 & v5 servers). I don't have any good ideas right
off the bat.

Another thought: would it be possible to insert a "shim" into the v5
server's stack (perhaps close to the network input) that converts v4
data to v5 data? It would have to use some heuristics, but it might not
be that bad.

Cheers & congrats!
Thorsten