[collectd] collectd gmond plugin issues

Raymond Flanery flaneryrejr at ornl.gov
Mon Aug 23 19:35:11 CEST 2010

I finally had more time to play with the plugin on our test cluster and
was able to get it to work. It seems that some of the libraries that
were being referenced were not being provided in the libganglia download
either. compiling that from scratch enabled me to get the gmond plugin
working.

My question now is this: Currently the gmond plugin works via
subscribing to the multicast group which is being fed by ganglia. One of
our clusters here that I would like to collect data from using this
plugin does not utilize the multicast features of ganglia, instead
sending its data directly to a port on the host. I am not much of a
networking guy, would it be difficult to get the gmond plugin to work
under these circumstances, or is there an elegant workaround? The folks
operating the cluster are not willing to change their ganglia
communications.

Ray Flanery

--
Raymond E. Flanery, Jr.