[collectd] default collectd.conf syslog verbosity

Michael Shigorin mike at osdn.org.ua
Sun Aug 22 16:23:56 CEST 2010

(sorry for *late* reply, was somewhat overwhelmed
by a few bacula instances to deploy -- my bad)

On Sat, Aug 07, 2010 at 09:00:09AM +0200, Florian Forster wrote:
> > is it reasonable to propose adding
> >
> > <Plugin syslog>
> > 	LogLevel info
> > </Plugin>
> >
> > to default configuration or disabling syslog plugin by default
> > with a sensible comment in stock collectd.conf that would warn
> > of sizeable log traffic?
> I much prefer to have some kind of logging in the default config file,
> so users have a place to look if something doesn't work.

Definitely!

> Currently the "syslog" plugin is used if it was built,
> otherwise the "logfile" plugin is used.
>
> The default log level depends on the configure option
> "--enable-debug".  It is "debug" if debugging was enabled
> and "info" otherwise. This assumes that if the user enables
> debugging, he actually requires debugging output. [*]

Reasonable.

> How would you feel about an additional configure option,
> "--with-loglevel=info" which would override this default
> behavior? Would that help with your package?

Sure, and there would arise no need to hack into upstream
provided configuration (risking breaking it) or forking
a copy to rarely refresh it.

> [*] I know that this doesn't hold true for packagers and I'm
>     sorry for the inconvenience, but I think that this is a
>     reasonable assumption for Joe Everyuser.

Florian, I always admired at your sense of proper default :-)
Of course yes, and the last thing I'd like to ask for is to
break/regress things for normal people in favour of packagers.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin <mike at altlinux.ru>