[collectd] Tail Plugin

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Mon Aug 9 23:27:38 CEST 2010

Hi Ravi,

On Mon, Aug 09, 2010 at 02:01:43PM -0700, Raviprakash Ramanujam wrote:
> I was wondering if I could use the Tail Plugin and Regex matches to detect
> strings as well, instead of numbers? (or if there are any future plans for
> doing this)
>
> For example,
>
> <Match>
>  Regex "TYPES:(\S*)"
>  DSType "some type"
> Type "some type"
> Instance (match)
> </Match>

This is not currently possible. However, I'd like to have that feature
as well but did not get around to actually implement it :-/

Anyway, I'd go for something like this:

  <Match>
    Regex "some regex"
    InstanceFrom "another regex"
  </Match>

The regex specified with "InstanceFrom" would be allowed to contain
multiple subexpressions. All of the respective sub-matches would be
concatenated (using dashes) to form the type instance.

Cheers,