[collectd] "Redesign" of the Debian collectd package

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Wed Sep 30 19:06:10 CEST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 12:49:53PM -0400, Moore, Joe wrote:
> Will this be the packaging for collectd 4.8?

Yes. However, I'm thinking about doing an "unmodified" upload of 4.8
before (and follow up with the new packaging shortly after that) since
the new packaging will have to go through the NEW queue which is going
to take some time.

> In following with the apache example, maybe deliver
> /etc/collectd/collect.conf.example, and have a debconf question to
> copy it into place?

Are you talking about "collectd-core"? I'd rather like to avoid
introducing debconf in that package as well. Imho, copying a sample
config from /usr/share/doc/ is about the same amount of work as
answering a debconf questions (which, in turn, would, presumably, avoid
quite a few people in that case).

> Since the default apt behavior is to install-recommends, imo,
> collectd-rrd output would be a useful recommends (as opposed to
> suggests) to keep with the current usability.

Well, that's what's being done in the new "collectd" package. librrd
will be recommended by that package. "collectd-core" is meant to be as
lean as possible.

> And in that case, the collectd.conf.example could still store its data
> in the rrd format.

I was thinking about providing sample configs for (at least) server,
client, proxy and write-rrds-locally-only setups.

Does that make sense to you?

Cheers,