[collectd] Shouldnt collectd also provide an interface to the data?

Lindsay Holmwood lindsay at holmwood.id.au
Fri Sep 4 23:11:32 CEST 2009

2009/9/4 Mariusz Gronczewski <xani666 at gmail.com>:

> I also agree collectd is bad place for implementing any kind of
> frontend it would just bloat codebase. General problem with any tool
> using RRD is that its great piece of software but there aren't any
> good, easy to use "graph creators". There is collection which is nice
> for start, drraw, which is good but its a bit ugly and afaik dont
> don't have some advanced RRDtool functions implemented and thats it.
> If u want something like "get graph with stacked all loadavg's from
> all servers" or "get total network bandwidth from all servers" u have
> to write a script which generates it, or update graph in drraw
> everytime u add/delete host.

The other problem with RRDs is that they generally require you to have
access to the files themselves to do anything useful with them. When
you consider a reasonably loaded collectd server pulling in lots of
stats, adding graphing on top of that is just going to slow you down.

Comparison (like stacked load averages) and correlation (like cpu
usage vs network io vs ...) are things i'd like to add to Visage. The
infrastructure to support it is there, just need to write the UI. ;-)

Lindsay

--
http://holmwood.id.au/~lindsay/ (me)