[collectd] snmp big values

Янченко Игорь igor at skif.net.ua
Wed Oct 28 08:03:57 CET 2009

igor at skif.net.ua пишет:
> Mariusz Gronczewski написав(ла):
>> Hi
>> 2009/10/27 Янченко Игорь <igor at skif.net.ua>:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I use collectd for monitoring swiches with big traffic around 800M-1G. I
>>> have next problem:
>>> when I set Interval 300, collectd write into rrd complete nonsense
>>> values. But when I set short interval (like 10) I get correct values.
>>>
>>> I also use mrtg for monitoring, for correct values in mrtg I write
>>> ":::::2" after ip in config, like this:
>>>
>>> Target[10.10.100.5_Vl111]: #Vl111:comunity at 10.10.100.5:::::2
>>>
>>> mrtg have interval 300 and write correct values with this string.
>>>

>>> Sorry for my bad english.
>>>
>> My first thougth is that counter gets full and wrapped around more
>> than one time between checks but then if mrtg gets it right... unless
>> mrtg have some way of detecting how much counter overflows was between
>> checks
>>
>> Regards
>> Mariusz
>
> I'm not expert in snmp, however I know, snmp version 2c supports 64 bit
> counter instead 32 bit. And mrtg use it when I insert in config ::::2.
> But I don't understand how I can use it in collectd.

I have an answer to my question

    <Data "std_traffic">
        Type "if_octets"
        Table true
        Instance "IF-MIB::ifName"
        Values "IF-MIB::ifInOctets" "IF-MIB::ifOutOctets"
    </Data>
    <Data "std_traffic64">
        Type "if_octets"
        Table true
        Instance "IF-MIB::ifName"
        Values "IF-MIB::ifHCInOctets" "IF-MIB::ifHCOutOctets"
    </Data>

    <Host "cat5.skif.local">
        Address "10.10.100.5"
        Version 2
        Community "comunity"
        Collect "std_traffic64"
        Interval 300
    </Host>

IF-MIB::ifHCInOctets and IF-MIB::ifHCOutOctets is 64bit counter, I think
developers may include this in example config.

Thank you all.

--
С Уважением, Янченко Игорь
email: mailto:igor at skif.net.ua