[collectd] Monitoring collectd

Andrés J. Díaz ajdiaz at connectical.com
Wed Oct 14 16:14:27 CEST 2009

Hi Israel

> I'm looking for a way to monitor, in collectd server, data coming from
> multiples servers and make me some kind of alert when some server
> stops sending UDP packages to collectd. How do you know if some server
> stops sending  data to collectd server?

You can define a threshold to do this, if you only need a "online"
threshold, that is
only send an alert when host down, you can use a dummy threshold like this:

<Threshold>
  <Plugin "load">
     WarningMin 0 # dummy threshold
  </Plugin>
</Threshold>

So, the threshold never raises, because load never will be lower than 0,
but when NaN, a FAILURE alert will be dispatched.

You can combine this with notify_email plugin to send emails.

Regards,
  Andrés