[collectd] Collectd User Plugin shows inactive users as active

kisho at phcn.ws kisho at phcn.ws
Mon Oct 12 15:34:58 CEST 2009

Hello,

we got a strange error. We have some PPTP VPN users on the system and collectd shows more and more active users, but only some are realy active. After some weeks we have more than 500 users (if we belive collectd) online and for real there are not more than 20 active.

/var/log/utmp (last and who) shows the right count of users.

We have the same problem with collectd 3.11.* and 4.8.*

Where and how does the users plugin recieve the current number of active users?

Does anybody have some ideas?

Thank you!

Yours sincerely,
Kisho