[collectd] "Redesign" of the Debian collectd package

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Sat Oct 10 11:08:27 CEST 2009

Hi Lorin,

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 10:31:23PM -0700, Lorin Scraba wrote:
> >> Okay, I understand your reasons. It would just be nice to say: on this
> >> host I additionally install collectd-rrdtool, it starts writing rrd
> >> files out of the box and the whole dependency mountain gets cleaned away
> >> if I change my mind and uninstall it.
> >
> > Hrm … the only way, I can think of, to implement that, would be to
> > introduce a new binary package for each plugin (with external
> > dependencies). See my previous E-mail, why I do not want to implement
> > that. Any other ideas how to do that would be very appreciated.
>
> How about following apache2's model ? Have collectd package with the
> most used plugins like mem/cpu/disk/etc bundled in and have either a
> collectd-extra package or multiple
> collectd-foo for different plugins.

See my previous E-mail [1], why collectd-<plugin> packages are not an
option. I'm not sure if a "collectd-extra" package would bring any
benefits. Either, I'd have to depend on all libraries required by the
included plugins - thus forcing everyone to install *all* of those libs
or I'd recommend those libs and the situation would be the same as it's
now. Another idea might be to provide several packages that provide a
few plugins that fit into the same category. However, I have no idea
what categories to use: popularity / importance is hard to tell and
probably won't provide a convenient solution for many users; using the
"type" of a plugin (e.g. "database related") does not make much sense
either (to me) - I suppose, usually, you're going to use a single
database plugin only, so installing all the others along with their
dependencies does not make sense - also, I cannot think of another
"type" besides "database related". If you can think of a reasonable
partitioning of the plugins, I'd happily consider that option.

> Same for directory structure - I really like de
> mods-available/mods-enabled thing.

Would you still like that for 80+ plugins?

Cheers,
Sebastian

[1] <http://mailman.verplant.org/pipermail/collectd/2009-September/003215.html>