[collectd] rrdcached + collectd issues

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Sat Oct 10 10:32:10 CEST 2009

Hi Thorsten,

On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 11:46:26AM -0700, Thorsten von Eicken wrote:
> I've compiled rrdcched with -pg to get gprof
> output, but haven't been successful.

Just a short note on that: Most of the actual work in RRDCacheD is done
in threads. gprof is not able to handle that very well (basically not at
all).

> It looks to like that's mostly the journal replay stuff and very little
> more.

Journal replay is done during startup in the main thread, so gprof is
able to grab information about that but probably misses about everything
else.

You might want to have a look at callgrind, which is one of the valgrind
tools that may be used for call graph tracing and which supports multi-
threaded programs as well.

Cheers,