[collectd] Problems building with gentoo linux / --with-libiptc=shipped

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Mon Nov 16 13:11:23 CET 2009

Hi Andreas,

On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 06:30:34PM +0100, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
> I'm packaging the current collectd version for Gentoo Linux. As a source-based
> distribution, Gentoo has all the libs and includes, so I use  --with-
> libiptc=shipped.

"shipped" refers to "shipped with collectd" -- so, by using that
configure option, you force collectd to use libiptc as packaged with
collectd. This is meant for those cases that libiptc is available on the
target system but does not work for some reasons.

> However, the problem is that make still tries to compile the libiptc packaged
> with collectd (which makes no sense once this switch is used). [Compile failes
> because then of some type redefinition.]

If you do not specify --with-libiptc at all, the configure script should
check if libiptc can be found on your system and whether it's usable. It
will then fall back to the one shipped with collectd if that fails. Did
you try that as well?

HTH,