[collectd] collectd and openipmi plugin

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon May 18 14:59:26 CEST 2009

Hi Michael,

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 10:54:35AM +0200, Vogt, Michael wrote:
> i use collectd (collectd-4.5.4.tar.gz) with the openipmi plugin
> (OpenIPMI-2.0.16.tar.gz), which basically works fine. but i detected
> an error, relating to date/time change. if i change the system
> date/time, collectd just crashes (segfaults).

sorry, I didn't read this mail before replying to your previous one.

> The segfault does only occour if i use openipmi sensors.

That this problem only occurs with the IPMI plugin enabled is a great
hint, thank you! :)

> U enabled coredumps on my system, but without luck. If collectd
> crashed, it will no write a core dump file.

Core-dumps are often deactivated by default in many distributions,
because often people don't know how to deal with them and they may
become very large.

You can enable core-dumps by specifying
  ulimit -c unlimited
in the command line before starting the daemon (with that same shell),
ideally doing something like:
  /path/to/collectd -f -C /path/to/collectd.conf

An alternative method would be to start collectd in a debugger to begin
with:
  gdb /path/to/collectd
  > run -f -C /path/to/collectd.conf

> To reproduce the bug, i restart ntp and set some date commands.
> Collectd does not crash each time when i issued a date command,
> sometimes after 2, sometimes after 10 times. So ist quite hard to
> reproduce.

Actually, this sounds like a relyable method of reprocuding the bug, so
we're half way of having it fixed! :)