[collectd] rrd_queue_thread issue

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon May 18 14:45:17 CEST 2009

Hi Amit,

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 04:49:13PM +0530, Amit Gupta wrote:
> After looking at the code I figured out that this happens because
> update_kstat function calls the plugin_init_all which ends up creating
> a new rrd_queue_thread. Is this intentional?

uh, this is a nasty bug! :( I've fixed this in the collectd-4.6 branch
and pack new releases shortly. Thanks for reporting this! :)

> As you would see one of the rrd_queue_thread has died (zombied) and
> thus collectdmon doesn't restart collectd. Is this a known issue?

No, I wasn't aware of this problem. My guess is that the shutdown
function kills only one thread and since the other threads don't exit /
are not joined, the shutdown hangs.