[collectd] build.sh & version-gen.sh do not work with Solaris /bin/sh

Peter Bray pdb_ml at yahoo.com.au
Sun May 10 11:47:27 CEST 2009

Greetings,

  Because of problems trying to compile the last release of collectd (4.6.2), I cloned the git repository and tried to build from the latest source code.

  The files build.sh & version-gen.sh use features which are not supported by Solaris' /bin/sh (tested on Solaris 10 Update 6). Rather then modifying the code itself I simply changed the #! line to use /bin/bash and all was good.

  Solaris' /bin/sh does not support $( command ) only `command` (affects version-gen.sh) and the syntax "if ! command ...." is not supported (affects build.sh)

  I would suggest that if most systems have /bin/bash that the #! be changed, but the developers would prefer the code to be made compatible with Solaris' /bin/sh then I happy to develop a patch.

Regards,
Peter Bray
Sydney, Australia