[collectd] net up or down

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat May 9 13:25:19 CEST 2009

Hi Stefan,

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 01:31:08PM +0200, Stefan Arn wrote:
> Is there an easy way to have an rrd that collects if an interface
> (eth0 etc) is up and running or down? I know the plugin Interface a
> bit, but it seems that this plugin only collects traffic data and not
> if the interface is up or not.

no, currently this information is not collected/regarded by collectd.
The data collected by collectd is always a *rate*, i. e. you'd end up
with information like ``status changes per second'' which, in 99.99% of
all samples, will be 0.0 – i. e. not very interesting.

It would be possible to have the `interface' plugin dispatch a
`notification' if a new interface becomes available or a previous
interface disappears.