[collectd] putval of exec-plugin does not work

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Fri May 8 18:52:43 CEST 2009

Hi Francesco,

On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 05:29:11PM +0200, Francesco Sordillo wrote:
> I wrote a bash script for exec-plugin that test file system
> performance with iozone tool. This script write a line every 20 or 30
> seconds (but i want to increase interval to 20 minute).
>
> Collectd seems to ignore the output for rrd file. I have just the
> first value. For csv file it work. I have the same effect with
> collectd 4.5.1 and 4.3.

if it works for the CSV plugin, I assume that the syntax of your
script's output, permissions, configuration, etc. is okay.

> <Plugin rrdtool>
> 	DataDir "/var/lib/collectd/rrd"
> 	CacheTimeout 120
> 	CacheFlush 900

The most common problem in the past has been that people were too
impatient with cached RRD files. Generally: If an RRD file is created,
it works.

On Fri, May 08, 2009 at 10:48:05AM +0200, Francesco Sordillo wrote:
> No one??? It's a joke???

I'm german, I don't joke! (scnr) Seriously though, we're in the middle
of finishing up another minor release and, frankly, the last $n$ reports
of “exec plugin doesn't work” were all layer 8 problems. (The real bug
reports usually come with far more detail, such as: “exec plugin stops
working after closing STDERR”.)