[collectd] Using an output plugin to produce CSV files usable by Windows Performance Monitor

mclellan_dave at emc.com mclellan_dave at emc.com
Tue Mar 17 15:45:43 CET 2009

I'm exploring the possiblity of using the Windows system Perfmon tools
to display data captured in Linux.

We already produce such a .CSV file using an internally developed tool
that captures some statistics, and writes out rows of data in the form
that Windows Perfmon can import and interpret.

There are limitations of the internal tool, and we think they might be
overcome by using collectd as the collector; we would write an output
plugin to produce a CSV file that would then be imported to perfmon.
Even though it's not windows data, we have used perfmon to productively
analyze Linux and Unix stats.

So the concept is that perfmon will be used as a presentation and
analysis tool, where the data is collected by collectd and written to
the file by our own output plugin.

Has anyone done this?   I know there is a .csv plugin existing, but it's
not producing perfmon formatted csv files.   I'll probably start there
to build a new plugin, but I'm looking to see if anyone has done this
nutty thing I'm proposing.

Thanks very much

Dave McLellan, RMSG Perf/Scale
EMC Corporation, Hopkinton MA