[collectd] Negative lookahead/lookbehind

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Mon Jun 22 08:22:02 CEST 2009

Hi Ged,

On Sun, Jun 21, 2009 at 12:26:01PM +0100, G.W. Haywood wrote:
> Why can't it just be piped through `perl -e '...'` ?

I suppose it'd be possible to write a Perl-based plugin using
File::Tail. In my opinion, this is just a work-around and not a real
solution..

As for piping through anything: As a rule, we don't execute other
programs, except in the `exec' plugin. (The `uuid' plugin may also
execute a program when trying to determine the hosts UUID, but this is a
rare case.) The number of bugfixes that have gone into the `exec' plugin
have shown, that this was probably a good move.

Does this answer your question?