[collectd] Welcome to the "collectd" mailing list

Mahendra Kutare mahendra.kutare at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 22:42:00 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Mariusz Gronczewski <xani666 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
> > I am wondering if I have to build libvirt from source along with collectd
> > make this work ? Or is there a way to make it work from RPM installation
> of
> > collectd and libvirt ?
> >
> Do u have libvirt-dev in  repo ? Thats enougth to build libvirt plugin
> in collectd

Well I found couple of things which I was missing -

1. I yum installed *collectd-virt* which puts collectd version of libvirt.so
in my Plugin directory.
This was not there earlier with installation *yum install collectd *and I
would have to install libvirt-devel as mentioned below and then compile
collectd from source.

So this way I just *yum install collectd-virt* which for now makes it work
for me.  I believe it takes care of libvirt-devel even if I did not had it
earlier installed.

Now I have libvirt installed and getting the metrics but the problem I have
now is it gets me only CPU metrics by default.

I want to atleast have 2-4 metrics - CPU, Memory, Network and Disk. How do I
add these to be fetched from libvirt through collectd ?

I do not see any options for that in -

162 <Plugin libvirt>
163     Connection "xen:///"
164 #   RefreshInterval 60
165 #   Domain "name"
166 #   BlockDevice "name:device"
167 #   InterfaceDevice "name:device"
168 #   IgnoreSelected false
169     HostnameFormat name
170 </Plugin>

Do I just uncomment BlockDevice and InterfaceDevice for Disk and Network ?
What about memory ?

Thanks
Mahendra