[collectd] Missing Dependency: librrd_th. Collectd install on CentOS 5.2

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Fri Jul 10 09:02:53 CEST 2009

Hi Michael,

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 12:46:20AM +1000, Michael Ciesla wrote:
> I'm trying to install collectd on CentOS 5.2, however I'm getting the
> following error from yum:

> Error: Missing Dependency: librrd_th.so.2 is needed by package collectd

> I have the librrd files located here:
[...]
> /usr/lib/librrd.so.4

That looks like rrdtool has been updated (from version 1.2.x, shipping
librrd*.so.2, to version 1.3.x, shipping librrd*.so.4) without taking
care of its reverse dependencies. In this case, a simple rebuild of
collectd in CentOS should do, since collectd does not use any part of
the API that has changed between soname versions 2 and 4. Possibly
CentOS still provides older librrd* packages as well - I don't know how
this is usually handled in CentOS.

Anyway, I think it's appropriate to report a bug against the collectd
package in CentOS asking for a rebuild against librrd_th.so.4.

HTH,