[collectd] syntax to collect snmpd 'extend' script results ?

L. Gabriel Somlo gsomlo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 15:57:11 CEST 2009

Florian,

Thanks for the reply! I finally figured out (the existence of) types.db,
and it makes total sense in retrospect :)

On Mon, Jul 06, 2009 at 02:22:19PM +0200, Florian Forster wrote:
> > I've added the following to my /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf:
>
> good science! [0] Why would you do that? It'd be probably much more
> elegant to let the `exec' plugin [1] handle that.

The only issue is that I'm running collectd on one server, and need to
monitor this type of activity on many *other* servers (and don't
neessarily want to install collectd on each one). After some mucking
around, the syntax turned out to be:

<Data "foo">
  Type "something_from_types.db"
  Table false
  Values "NET-SNMP-EXTEND-MIB::nsExtendOutput1Line.\"name-of-extend-script\"" ...
</Data>

Thanks again,
--Gabriel