[collectd] bind-9.[56] plugin

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Thu Jan 22 10:47:34 CET 2009

Hi Bruno,

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 02:26:19PM +0100, Bruno Prémont wrote:
> Attached are patches for collectd-4.5.x and collectd-4.4.x series for
> a plugin to collect statistics from a ISC Bind server.

thanks for you patch :) I wasn't aware of this interface; it provides
great statistics :)

I've just pulled the patch into the master branch. It's working, but not
complete yet. Here is a short version what is left to do:

 - Near the top of the file, there are three ``tables'' which map each
   counter name to a type/-instance and a configuration variable. The
   entries look like this:
     /* counter name, type,          /-inst, config var */
     {  "Requestv4",  "dns_request", "IPv4", &use_requests },
   This means that the counter `Requestv4' will be stored as type
   `dns_request' with type-instance `IPv4', if `use_requests' is set to
   true.
   1) Do the mappings I came up with make sense? Should we add more
      configuration variables or drop some? Do the variables group
      similar/related values?
   2) Currently, the entire table is submitted with the same plugin-
      instance. Would it make sense to add an extra column for that?

 - The configuration setting (and the counters they enable) should be
   documented in the collectd.conf(5) manual page.

 - Per-zone statistics can currently not be collected. The problem is
   the configuration here: BIND provides so called ``views'', meaning
   that the version of a zone file you are presented depends, basically,
   on your IP address. So each zone can potentially appear more than
   once, so we would have to make the selection based on the view and
   the zone.
   If shouldn't be too hard, but I haven't had time to seriously look
   into implementing this.

So that's where we stand. It'd be great to get some feedback on all
this.. :)