[collectd] collectd versus rrdcollect-remote rrdtool IO

Greg greg at easyflirt.com
Mon Jan 19 10:46:49 CET 2009

Hi,

I'm currently trying to switch from an existing installation with
rrdcollect-remote and rrdcollect clients, to colletd version 4.4. My
collectd configuration only collect basic status: cpu, disk, processes,
no specific ones like mysql, apache...

I have 2GB of rrdcollect data, and only 1.3GB for collectd, both are
checking servers every 10s.
epoc-02:/etc/collectd# du -hs /var/local/rrdcollect/ /var/lib/collectd/
2.0G    /var/local/rrdcollect/
1.3G    /var/lib/collectd/

server's collectd.conf :
FQDNLookup false
BaseDir "/var/lib/collectd"
PluginDir "/usr/lib/collectd"
TypesDB "/usr/lib/collectd/types.db" "/etc/collectd/ez_types.db"
Interval 5
ReadThreads 10
LoadPlugin syslog
<Plugin syslog>
        LogLevel info
</Plugin>
LoadPlugin df
LoadPlugin disk
LoadPlugin entropy
LoadPlugin interface
LoadPlugin irq
LoadPlugin load
LoadPlugin memory
LoadPlugin network
LoadPlugin ntpd
LoadPlugin perl
LoadPlugin processes
LoadPlugin swap
LoadPlugin users
LoadPlugin vmem
LoadPlugin rrdtool
<Plugin network>
        Server "10.0.0.11"
        Listen "10.0.0.11"
        TimeToLive "2"
        Forward false
        CacheFlush 1800
</Plugin>
<Plugin rrdtool>
        DataDir "/var/lib/collectd/rrd"
        CacheTimeout 120
</Plugin>

client's collectd.conf are the same, but network plugin config is
different (only "Server" part)

Software versions :
epoc-02:/etc/collectd# dpkg -l | egrep "rrd|collectd"
ii  collectd                   4.4.2-3~bpo40+1
statistics collection and monitoring daemon
ii  librrd2                    1.2.15-0.3
Time-series data storage and display system
ii  librrd2-dev                1.2.15-0.3
Time-series data storage and display system
ii  librrds-perl               1.2.15-0.3
Time-series data storage and display system
ii  rrdcollect                 0.2.3-2
Round-Robin-Database Collecting Daemon
ii  rrdtool                    1.2.15-0.3
Time-series data storage and display system

Now please compare both CPU graph generated by Drraw: one with rrd from
rrdcollect, and one with rrd from collectd. The "collectd" one doesn't
have all data !! Because of disk IO. Seems that rrdcollect is better
with IO performance, or my collectd isn't tuned for IO perf...

--
Greg