[collectd] jcollectd

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Thu Jan 15 10:57:52 CET 2009

Hi Doug ;)

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 07:06:41PM -0500, Doug MacEachern wrote:
> Looking at ways to integrate Java apps + collectd, I tried Justo's jmx
> plugin, which worked well but decided to try a different approach.

Oh, right, I need to look into that one some day.. I'm by no means a
Java person, so I'm having kind of a hard time there ;)

> We've uploaded a package to github called 'jcollectd' that implements
> the collectd protocol in pure Java and provides JMX integration on
> top. Rather than embed a JVM in collectd, we use the already running
> JVM(s) such as tomcat, add the collectd.jar file with a few
> command-line options and inject data into collectd via the protocol.

Wow, very cool :) I've added a link to jcollectd on the features page
and the related projects page of the website. Could you verify that what
I'm writing is correct?

Right now I regret a little that I don't have more Java processes ;) I
have one though, my Jabber server (Openfire, an awesome piece of
software). I'll see if I can get some information out of it ;)

> Seemed like this project would be better off on its own rather than
> the contrib directory, the source is on github:
> http://github.com/hyperic/jcollectd

Yeah, I think it's better this way, too.

> Hope you don't mind I used org.collectd for the Java package and
> directed discussion to this list :)

No, no problem at all. *I* won't be able to answer any Java related
questions, but if you stick around it's probably the best all around :)

Best regards,