[collectd] SMFizing collectd

Piotr Hosowicz the55 at wp.pl
Sat Jan 3 16:40:07 CET 2009

Florian Forster pisze:
> Hi Piotr,
>
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 04:42:15PM +0100, Piotr Hosowicz wrote:
>> I am pleased to contribute Solaris SMF files to the community. please
>> find attached files: SMF manifest for the service, the script that
>> actually stops and starts the service and the two README files, which
>> are from my blog:
>
> great, thank you very much :)

Nothing at all, my pleasure. :-)

> I added the files to contrib/solaris-smf
> and added a short summary to the top of the README file.

I don't see them in 4.5.2 source tgz.

> Do you know if this can be added to the Solaris packages? I'd be nice if
> the service would be registered automatically when the package is
> installed :)

I don't know Solaris packages that much. I think there must be a way.
But here is one point of concern - as far as I had seen, after importing
the manifest to the SMF the service is immediately started. I do not
know if it's always like that or maybe it can be specified in the
manifest. The problem is that somebody may want to change e.g. the
hostname in collectd.conf before any data is dispatched via network plugin.

Regards,

Piotr Hosowicz