[collectd] problems with iptables plugin

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Jan 3 00:34:26 CET 2009

Hi Karolis,

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 09:59:53PM +0200, Karolis D wrote:
> <Plugin iptables>
>   Chain filter INPUT
> </Plugin>

> # tail /var/log/messages
> Jan  2 19:49:14 run23 collectd[25784]: iptables plugin: iptc_init (filte) failed: Table does not exist (do you need to insmod?)
> Jan  2 19:49:14 run23 collectd[25784]: read-function of plugin `iptables' failed. Will suspend it for 10 seconds.

> It seems that for some reason iptables plugin reads the table name as
> "filte" instead of "filter", like the last char is being cut off.

yes, this is an off-by-one error that was fixed by Sebastian in commit
ee950750. It has since made it into the 4.5.1 release, so that should
not have that problem.

> If I try to add additional char at the end of table name, for example
> "filterr", then it seems like the table is found (there is no output
> in the log file), but RRD file is not being created.

That should actually work around the problem, I think. But I'm not sure.
It's best to use a version that has the problem fixed and tested.

> I also compiled the latest source version of collectd, and copied
> iptables.so file to the plugins folder.

Ugh, no idea if that works as expected. Have you used the shipped
version of libiptc or a version installed by your distribution? (The
summary at the end of the configure run should tell you that.)

Sorry I'm not of much help. With such mixed setups it's hard to tell
anything for sure. Please try a `pure' version 4.5.1 (or better yet:
4.5.2; I'll upload it in a few minutes) and see how that works out. If
that shows problems still, it's much easier to tell where the problem
might be..