[collectd] Announcing the collectd Wiki

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Thu Feb 26 19:04:47 CET 2009

Hi Sebastien,

On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 06:46:42PM +0100, Sebastien Guilbaud wrote:
> > By moving stuff into the wiki, I hope to make it easier for others to
> > contribute documentation, fix typos, remove ambiguities, and so on. On
> > the "Table of Plugins" [2] page, for example, has still many links that
> > lead to non-existent plugin pages.
>
> I'd like to help, but how can we be sure we're not more than
> one to work on a specific page ?

we're using MediaWiki, the software that powers Wikipedia. As you can
surely picture, the descriped problem is a real one on Wikipedia - in
our Wiki it's more of a hypothetical question really ;)

What MediaWiki will do is a so called "three way merge", i. e. it will
take the common base version and try to apply both changes one after the
other. If that fails, the second editor, the one that presses ``Save''
later, is presented with a form where he can merge the changes by hand,
similar to the way source code version control systems handle this case.

So don't be afraid, I'm pretty sure this situation will not occur in the
collectd Wiki anytime soon. Just edit away :)