[collectd] (Generic) Java plugin available for development/testing.

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Tue Feb 24 12:05:33 CET 2009

Hi everybody,

finally, after many hours of work, I'm satisfied with the Java plugin as
it is now \o/

You can find an HTML version of the collectd-java(5) manpage at:
  <http://verplant.org/temp/collectd-java.html>

The JavaDoc of the corresponding Java classes is available here:
  <http://verplant.org/temp/javadoc/>

(The contents of both links will be deleted automatically in ~30 days.)

I've tested all functionality with simple tests, but I'm sure there is a
bunch of bugs in there somewhere, so use at your own risk. I'll leave
the code in its own `ff/java' branch for a few days before merging it
back into the `master' branch.

Current limitations are:

 - Callbacks cannot be removed.

 - `Meta data' pointers, that are passed to `match' and `target'
   functions in preparation of a planned feature, are not used yet. The
   interface will change in that respect some time in the future.

 - Match and Target objects currently have no `destroy' method.

Changes I plan to do at some point (but currently don't have any more
time to do now):

 - Change `write' callbacks so they get a `DataSet' object and a
   `ValueList' callback. Currently, the `DataSet' can be obtained using
   ValueList.getDataSet. This method will probably go away in favor of a
   `ResolveType' interface.

 - Rename the `PluginData' class to `Identifier' and move the `time'
   member into `ValueList' and `Notification'.

 - Pass an `Indentifier' to the flush callbacks rather than a String.

Of course, any feedback is highly welcome.