[collectd] (Generic) Java plugin available for development/testing.

Doug MacEachern Doug.MacEachern at hyperic.com
Thu Feb 19 18:31:44 CET 2009

On Feb 18, 2009, at 6:34 AM, Florian Forster wrote:

> The code is available in the `ff/java' branch from the normal collectd
> Git repository.

Very cool Florian!  I needed two changes to build...
A couple of these: java.c:1491: warning: dereferencing type-punned
pointer will break strict-aliasing rules

And I hardcoded configure.in to the linux include and lib paths.

% find /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0.x86_64 -name jni_md.h
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0.x86_64/include/linux/jni_md.h

% find /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0.x86_64 -name libjvm.so
/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-openjdk-1.6.0.0.x86_64/jre/lib/amd64/server/
libjvm.so

I haven't tried it yet, but i think it'd be most interesting to
integrate with JRuby, JPython, etc., then we can have in-process
plugins in ruby and python.  There's plenty of other nice scripting
languages that run on the jvm, Groovy, Ioke, etc.

> As sad above, any feedback is highly welcome. Here are some of the
> questions I currently have in mind:
>
>   * Would it make sense to move `CollectdAPI' and `ValueList' and
>     `DataSource' to `org.collectd.api' or something like that?

Glad you were able to use some of the jcollectd classes.  I think the
org.collectd.api package would make sense.  And at some point maybe
we can just fold all of jcollectd into bindings/java?

>   * I was going to write a Java representation of the `config_item_t'
>     data structure, so Java plugins can be configured more or less
> like
>     C plugins. Does that make sense or is there some magic and
> standard-
>     ized way to configure Java programs/components?

As with most 'standards' there are many to choose from ;)  I think
it'd be best to have it the collectd way, then we can implement
classes on top that can read from other config file formats.

>   * Would it be better to implement the `plugin_register_*'
> interface in
>     Java, too? As far as I know function-pointers are a bit tricky in
>     Java, right?

Yeah, the convention would be something like:

public interface CollectdReadPlugin {
      public int read();
}

public class MyPlugin implements CollectdReadPlugin {
     public int read() {
         ... plugin_dispatch_values(vl);
     }
}

Collectd.register_read_plugin(new MyPlugin());