[collectd] collect Snmp exclude

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Tue Aug 18 10:03:54 CEST 2009

Hi again,

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 09:23:41PM +0200, Domagoj Mikac wrote:
> Thank you for your fast response, but even if I remove the line
> Plugininstance "^snmp$", filtering still doesn't work. Each time I
> remove all rrds belonging to Loopback interfaces, and after I restart
> collectd it recreates them again.

JFTR: collectd recreates RRD files any time data has been submitted.
Thus, you'd have to stop collectd, remove the files, start collectd to
make sure they are recreated after the restart.

> I have about 4000 devices in the network and excluding unnecessary
> interfaces is crucial because I have to lower a server load. Each
> device has up to a couple of hundred interfaces, and I have to monitor
> only some of them. Is it possible to filter out some interfaces
> directly in snmp plugin configuration section ?

No, that's not possible. The filter-chain mechanism is the right thing
to use for that purpose.

> <Chain "Main">
          ^
Darn … I guess, you've copied the sample config from the shipped config
file, right? This was a left over from some development version that had
never been released. A chain called "main" does not exist - you probably
want to use the "PreCache" chain instead - see collectd.conf(5) for
details. This has just been fixed in the collectd-4.6 branch.

Other than that, your config looks fine to me …

HTH,