[collectd] generic JMX plugin

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Wed Aug 12 11:55:36 CEST 2009

Hi Matthew,

On Thu, Aug 06, 2009 at 10:47:41AM -0400, matthew sporleder wrote:
> I would also like to add that running in the foreground (collectd -f)
> successfully created an output directory for my <Connection> and
> <MBeans>.  So it looks like the deadlock may actually happen at
> startup.

after some debugging I figured out that the Java plugin simply hangs
when calling the ‘JMXConnectorFactory.connect’ function [1].

I have yet to find out why this happens and why it only happens when
having collectd fork to the background. Maybe they try to find out how
to do authentication by finding out if STDIN is connected to a terminal
or something.

Anyway, I though I'd let you know where I currently stand. If anyone on
the list is an Über-Java-developer: Some hints as to how to approach a
bug like this would be very welcome :)

[1] <http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/management/remote/JMXConnectorFactory.html#connect(javax.management.remote.JMXServiceURL)>