[collectd] Network plugin - ensuring delivery and local caching during network outages

Andrés J. Díaz ajdiaz at connectical.com
Tue Aug 11 11:40:42 CEST 2009

Hi Spike

I'm working on this problem from a long time, the main handicap below
this feature is that collectd is agnostic about the output format, that is,
the rrdtool plugin write data in RRDs, but csv plugin does in CSV, so,
when we need to resend data to server on outage recover, which storage
we use? all of them? only the first configurated? What happened if before
the outage we use RRDs, and after CSV? It's not an easy answer.

Now I implemented a local caches in my hosts, using rrdtool plugin, and
serves the rrds using a local rrdtool server (read the rrdtool man :D) over TCP,
so in my GUI, I have a check box to get graph from the remote cache or from
the server. This is not a very cool workarround, but works fine for me.

I do not known if someone has planned to add a native feature in network
plugin...

Regards,
  Andres