[collectd] localstatedir patches

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Fri Sep 12 14:59:57 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 12, 2008 at 06:43:11AM -0600, Boian Berberov wrote:
> Let me illustrate exactly what happens on Gentoo.  The econf function used
> by ebuilds makes this call:
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --host=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu --mandir=/usr/share/man
> --infodir=/usr/share/info --datadir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
> --localstatedir=/var/lib --localstatedir=/var <plugin-enables> ...
>
> The second "--localstatedir=/var" is an override I have to put in. Since
> prefix is set to /usr, the end result in the collectd.conf file without the
> patch to that file is:
> #BaseDir     "/usr/var/lib/collectd"
> #PIDFile     "/usr/var/run/collectd.pid"
>
> With the patch it is:
> #BaseDir     "/var/lib/collectd"
> #PIDFile     "/var/run/collectd.pid"

Okay, I guess, I forgot to mention that in my first reply: This is a
known problem. The fix you proposed in your patch does not work for the
reasons mentioned before. The only way to fix that is to do some
sed-magic in the Makefile which takes care of the required substitutions
in collectd.conf(.in). This will work as that's executed at compile time
as well and ${prefix} is then substituted with the correct value.

However, I don't really understand why any distributor would want to use
the shipped config file in their packages. Usually you'd want to provide
some more reasonable default config (the shipped config enables _all_
plugins that have been built which, imho, is not reasonable for a
distributor). In the Debian package, I've included my own config with
appropriate paths. I guess, about anybody else does so as well, so
nobody stepped up to fix this problem so far.

Anyway, if you provide a patch that implements that sed-magic, I'm
pretty sure this could be included in collectd.

> Setting prefix to "/" will install everything else in root.  Do you have any
> suggestion on how I can set this up without the patch?  Of course it can
> always be maintained externally.

Ship your own config ... ;-)

HTH,