[collectd] localstatedir patches

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Fri Sep 12 12:28:59 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 01:38:00PM -0600, Boian Berberov wrote:
> OK.  But how does your example work?  I think in Gentoo it would have to be:
> ./configure --prefix=${custom_prefix} --localstatedir=${custom_prefix}/bar

No, you'd still use --localstatedir='${prefix}/bar'. ${prefix} will be
used in the configure script and Makefile and thus evaluated at compile
time which allows you to set a new prefix without recreating the build
environment.

Please note that you don't _have_ _to_ use that syntax but it's
recommended for the above mentioned reasons.

As a side-note: --localstatedir='${prefix}/foo' was a pretty bad
example. Usually, Linux distributors set prefix to '/usr' and
localstatedir to '/var' to comply with the FHS. However, ${prefix} is
used e.g. in -mandir='${prefix}/share/man'.

> Also, localstatedir defaults to [PREFIX/var] according to ./configure
> --help, so that particular case should be covered for var.

Right - see above ;-)

HTH,
Sebastian

PS: Please don't use top-posting style [1] - that usually breaks
    readability a lot. Thanks!

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Top-posting