[collectd] JVM statistics collection?

Justo Alonso justo.alonso at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 17:49:15 CEST 2008

Hi Stephen !

On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 7:12 PM, Stephen Hillier
<shillier at halogensoftware.com> wrote:
> I'm working on testing it now -- rough times. For some reason, I'm having a hell of a hard time getting 4.5.0 source to compile. I got a million errors, so I started with fresh download of 4.5 and started hitting compiler problems with libiptc. Several edits to source files libip6tc.c, utils_complain.c, mutlitmeter.c, I was finally able to get the tar ball to compile properly. Not sure why I'm seeing these problems when I'm using a stable release, but that's another puzzle.

umm .. for your log files, you have Linux, but what distribution ? kernel ?

> Then I applied the JXM patch, which does apply successfully, but I cannot compile the source due to libtool errors (see attachments for output logs):
>
> I'm guessing these errors should be addressed (unless they're unique to my systems):
>
> 1. (build from fresh source tarball v4.5) - see collectd-out-1.txt
>
> This change to libip6tc.c fixed this error:
>
> Line 134:
> From: ((ntohl(a->in6_u.u6_addr32.....
> To: ((ntohl(a->__in6_u.__u6_addr32....
>
> This conforms to the naming conventions found in #include <netinet/in.h>
>

> 2. After typing 'make' again, I get to the next error:
>
> Multimeter.c:89: error: ignoring return value of 'write', declared with attribute war_unused_result
>
> I changed line 89
> From: write();
> To: status=write();
>

> 3. After typing 'make' for the third time: I get to a third error:L
>
> utils_compain.c:52: error: format not a string literal and no format arguments
> utils_compain.c:97: error: format not a string literal and no format arguments
>
> I commented these logging function calls out just to get the compile working.
>
> (See attachment collectd-45-compile.log)
>
> That brings me to a point where I can try to apply the JMX patch.
>
> 4. I apply the JMX patch, and it completes successfully. Next I re-run configure with the new options to enable the jmx plugin, however the package will no longer build as the scripts seem to be broken. When I call make, it just barfs (see attachment collectd-45-jmxpatch-compile.log)
>
> My initial take is that the patch broke libtool, but that's just a guess.

Sorry, but, I try to reproduce your problem, but I can't. Download the
4.5.0 version, patch it, configure, make (that reconfigure) and all
work fine. I check with jdk 1.5 and jdk 1.6 and it's ok. Collectd with
the jmx plugin compile ! ....

Can you send me a complete patch of all your changes, and a info about
your OS and version of your libtool, autoconf tools and GCC ?

> I'm not sure how to proceed without reading the patch file much more closely, which I'm working on now, but in case someone else sees the problem quickly, I'm sending this info out for others to see.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve.

thanks in advance and sorry for my english