[collectd] PATCH: add support for percentage computation to collectd-nagios

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Nov 8 16:53:44 CET 2008

Hi Fabian,

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 10:58:57PM +0100, Fabian Linzberger wrote:
> i am using collectd-nagios to check disk usage via nagios. doing this
> you generally like to know when there is less than a certain
> percentage of free space on a filesystem, not less than a certain
> number of bytes.

thank you very much for your patch :) It's a nice idea, but a bit too
specific for my taste. I think it can be improved a great deal by the
changes Sebastian has suggested, i. e.  calculate the percentage in
regard to all (selected) data sources and use the first (selected) data
source and the one of interest.

Fabian, would you be interested in giving this a shot?

Calculating the percentage in regard to more than two data sources may
not make much sense just now (because there hardly are any types with
more than two data sources), but I think in the long run it'd be great
to have to `-n' argument be repeatable, too. For example:

  $ collectd-nagios -s $SOCK -g percentage -H myhost
      -n memory/memory-cache \
      -n memory/memory-free \
      -n memory/memory-used \
      -n memory/memory-buffered \
      -w 30: -c 10:

This should issue a warning if less than 30% of physical memory is used
as page cache.