[collectd] Using Cacti as a frontend for collectd

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Sat Nov 1 10:32:39 CET 2008

Hi Florent,

On Fri, Oct 31, 2008 at 04:28:06PM +0100, Florent Monbillard wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 7:49 PM, Pavel Georgiev <pavel at netclime.com> wrote:
> > Has anyone managed to use cacti just as a frontend for collectd (or
> > use both tools in any other way)? I read in the FAQ there are
> > reports of people doing this but I could not find any info about
> > that.
>
> You have to do this manually. Create your datasources and point them to
> collectd datasource files. More you have datasources, longer is this step...
> When you finish "importing" datasources, you can use them in cacti like usual,
> referencing them into graphs.

How does such a data-source definition look like? Is it specific for a
certain installation or is it some generic definition of the data found
in the RRD files. In the latter case, would it make sense to ship your
definitions somewhere in contrib/ in the collectd sources so others
won't have to recreate them over and over again?

> To try not repeat this 42 times or more, I created datasource
> templates to fit the
> structure of collectd common datasources (which uses "value" or "count" most
> of the time). That helps a bit...

That template might also be a nice thing to include in collectd.

What do you think?

Cheers,