[collectd] Solaris 10U4 compilation of 4.3.3

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Thu May 1 10:41:43 CEST 2008

Hi Randy,

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 03:41:34PM -0700, Randy Bias wrote:
> patch to collectd.h, stealing from /usr/include/firefox/dbm/mcom_db.h

Richard Shade already reported problems with Solaris 5.11 (I assume
that's Solaris 11?) and the endianess check.

The code you've provided is ``a bit hackish'' to say the least ;) If
there really is no portable way of using some define or so I'd rather
add another test program to the configure script which checks for
endianess. Something like that should work:
  char temp[4] = {0xde, 0xad, 0xbe, 0xef};
  if (*((uint32_t *) &temp[0]) == 0xdeadbeef)
    big endian;
  else
    little endian;

I think that the people you copied that code from did look into that to
quite some degree, so I think there's hardly a way around that configure
stuff.. If you know a way that works on more recent versions of Solaris
(5.3 and 5.4 are ancient, right?) I'd be very interested, because
compiling, linking, and _running_ a program during configure makes
cross-compilation hard..

> Ps.  If someone wants to help make this cleaner I will provide a
> Solaris and a Nexenta box to make it build on.

If you don't mind that'd be great.. I could then test new versions on
more platforms before releasing them ;)