[collectd] Announcing `SSC Serv', the System Statistics Collection Service

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Tue Mar 25 16:26:53 CET 2008

Hi everybody,

I'd like to announce `SSC Serv', a ``service'' for Microsoft Windows
that collects performance data and sends it to a collectd server. You
can find the homepage here: <http://ssc-serv.com/>.

Out of personal interest and to bring forward collectd, I've been
looking into supporting Microsoft Windows in a way or other. After
playing around for a while I came to the conclusion that _porting_
collectd to Windows would require changes to the code that I don't want
to have in the vanilla collectd sources and even if I pulled in those
changes, the daemon would be badly integrated in a typical Windows
environment.

So I've rolled up my sleeves, wiped the slate clean and implemented a
native Windows ``service'' (i. e. daemon) that speaks the collectd
network protocol. The service integrates nicely with Windows and
(hopefully) behaves exactly ``as it ought to be'' ;)

I hope that collectd will benefit from this, because:
- Having a native Windows solution available gives collectd an edge over
  similar projects - even those that are written in a scripting
  language.
- `SSC Serv' and collectd don't compete: SSC Serv only runs on Windows,
  collectd runs on anything BUT Windows, and SSC Serv is a client only,
  so you need a collectd server in any case.
- It's now possible to deploy collectd in an environment where Windows
  support is a must.

So the intended audience clearly are system administrators that already
use or plan to use collectd but want to integrate Windows into that
solution.

As customary with Windows software, however, the service is not free (as
in speech). You can download it for free (as in beer) during the beta
test phase, which will last at least until May 31st, though.