[collectd] Persist parameter (for threshold) doesn't work as expected

Florian Forster octo at verplant.org
Sat Mar 22 10:22:33 CET 2008

Hi Dieter,

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 04:26:10PM +0100, Dieter Bloms wrote:
> I thought the Instance was for such case, or do i mixed something
> here?  If yes, the solution you provided looks good to me.

no, instance is something else. Let's say you have a machine with two
CPUs. You'll have a `data set' (read: RRD file) called something like
that:
  cpu-1/cpu-idle
Here `1' is the `plugin instance' and `idle' is the `type instance'.
This `data set' has one `data source' and it's called `value'.

If, on the other hand, we regard a network card, there is a `data set'
such as:
  interface/if_octets-eth0
Here `eth0' is the `type instance' and there is no `plugin instance'.
The `data set' now has two `data sources', `rx' and `tx'.

Right now you can only specify which `data set' to check, but not which
`data source' withint that set. This is the problem.

Was this somehow understandable?