[collectd] A few problems and suggestions

Sebastian Harl sh at tokkee.org
Tue Mar 18 16:48:14 CET 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 04:20:30PM +0100, Florian Forster wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 03:09:04PM +0100, Marco Chiappero wrote:
> > I'm running debian lenny with the 2.6.24.3 kernel release and bofh
> > sensors and fancontrol are working. Packages installed:
> >
> > libsensors4              1:3.0.1-2
> > lm-sensors               1:3.0.1-2
[...]
> If you use a pre-compiled package: Where did you get it from? The
> current `unstable' package (Debian Sid) is linked with libsensors3
> (1:2.10.3-1), so it's not surprising that this binary doesn't work with
> libsensors4.

The next uploads will probably (unless I stumble across any problems) be
linked against libsensors4.

> If the daemon stays uncommunicative, get your hands on a version that
> has debugging capabilities. You can get them by specifying
> `--enable-debug' when configuring the source. (The experimental Debian
> package used to have debugging enabled, but the unstable package doesn't
> anymore, so Sebastian tells me.)

As this has come up a couple of times and the debugging output did help
debugging quite a few problems so far, I'm thinking about providing some
collectd binary with debugging enabled in Debian.

> > > What can _we_ do different here? IIrc the hddtemp plugin simply
> > > connects to and reads from the hddtempd using a socket.
> >
> > Maybe you can help me to understand why polling the server with a bash
> > script doesn't affect the drives standby command after some time of
> > inactivity like the hddtemp plugin does. It seems that it keeps
> > accessing the drives. I'm not blaming you, I'd just like to understand
> > why.

Are you sure this is caused by the "hddtemp" plugin? If either the
"rrdtool" or "csv" plugin is enabled the daemon writes to the disk every
ten seconds. This will quite definitely prevents the hard drives from
going to idle state.

Cheers,